Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What I'm Leaving Behind

In three weeks I'm leaving the Pacific Northwest for good.The reality of what I'm leaving behind is beginning to sink in. I mean, I have to leave my hairdresser, for Pete's sake!

I've been going to this guy for 12 years. He's watched my hair gradually thin as my neck gradually thickened, and discretely changed the hairdo ever so slightly to accomodate both. He's done my hair for every job interview I had, every wedding I've been to, and every vacation I've taken. I feel like I should know his mother, invite him for vacations, and know when his birthday is.

One of my fabulous friends (yes, one of those fabulous people who I am also leaving and feeling badly about) drove me to my hairdressers today and helped take pictures of his technique. It was excruciating. I feel certain no one will ever do my hair this well again. (Oh, the drama! I think I'm focusing on something innocuous like a hairdo to avoid the overwhelming reality that I am leaving everyone I've loved for 20 years.)

We took pictures. We wrote down formulas. We said good-bye. I told him I hope to spend my summers in the Northwest. But, still. An era is ending. An era in which I could depend on getting a good hair color and cut every time. An era in which I could pop over and see a friend when I was feeling down. An era in which I could share my opinons with my comfortable old book club, and potlucks with my church people.

People say, "You'll make new friends." And I will. But it won't be these friends, this hairdresser, this book club. It feels right to acknowledge that. I know some truly excellent people here in the Northwest. I'll keep in touch, but I will miss having them in the daily fabric of my life.

In the meantime, I'll post one of the photos of the secret hair technique. What do you think? Will I ever again find someone who can make the back of my head look this great?

1 comment:

:: the monkey pod :: said...

(laughing!) the technique looks complicated indeed!

Miss you already! ~Mina