Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just Why AM I Moving to the Desert?

It is nearly 1 pm on a perfect sunny day. The kind that come rarely in the Northwest, but when they do they make everyone glad to be alive. I just walked Oliver and kept looking at the big, soft green leaves on plants and trees and wondering why I would ever give this up for the desert (the picture at the top of this page is my new desert back yard.)

So, for my own benefit, I shall reiterate the chronology:
  1. I am unemployed. Getting a little social security but don't consider myself actually retired.
  2. Husband and I decided to split (amicably).
  3. Husband bought me out of our nice big house.
  4. The money I got was enough to buy just a modest condo in the Puget Sound Area.
  5. I suffer from SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder), which turns me into a total slug in the long, dark Northwest winter.
  6. I visited favorite aunt and uncle in Palm Springs area.
  7. Housing prices were extremely low there because of the recession, even in a Sun City retirement community with a golf club, two pools, gorgeous clubhouse and untold activities.
  8. I saw a pretty little house (1600 sq. ft.) house I could buy. For cash. On my own. In the sunshine.
  9. I said "Yessssss!" and bought it.
And that's how it happened. Buying decisions are always emotional, even when the buyer has a list of logical, rational reasons for making them. In my case, logic and reason came later: The house is bound to appreciate because people my age (62) will want to retire when the recession eases. The house is 2 hours from L.A., with its huge pool of Boomers wanting to retire close to their families.

The heat worries me. I can acclimate up to about 105. But it's been 108-118 there the last two months. I need an escape plan (or several) for July and August. 60% of the people in Sun City stay for the summer. I would have thought that 40% would stay and 60% would leave, but it seems people get used to it. And they all LOVE the 8-9 months of the year when it's gloriously sunny while the rest of the country is shoveling snow. Maybe I'll become one of those people. They all seem to be tanned and happy. That sounds good to me!

So, instead of fussing, maybe I should just enjoy these last few Northwest days of summer, and use my energy packing.

No comments: