Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Big Box Store Juggernaut




I don't shop much. I find no joy in returning to stores over and over to wait for prices to drop and to return things I thought I wanted. I tend to look for stores that reliably carry what I want, then I stick with them. When I lived in the Seattle area, I shopped at McLendon's, the fabulous independent Puget Sound hardware store, and Bartell's, my favorite independent drug store. I could buy swim suits (not sun-bathing suits or "resort suits," but real, honest-to-goodness tank suits for actual swimming) any time of year at Sylvia's Swim Shop. Gawd, how I miss them!

It's 75 degrees here in Indio, the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I sure would like to sit out on my patio. But none of the big box stores around here is selling outdoor furniture right now. "Why not?" I asked one of the employees. "We have it in summer," he said. Right. Summer, when it's 118 degrees and touching the metal on a patio chair could give you 2nd degree burns. The high-end specialty patio stores have outdoor furniture, of course. Great, if you have a real budget and are not constrained to big-box-store-type prices. Personally, I'm considering moving my card table and chairs onto the patio. A couple of medium cardboard boxes would make good ottomans, don't you think?

I thought a few indoor plants would cheer me up. I tried to buy terra cotta pots to start some African violets from cuttings. Nope. No pots. Not 'til spring--when it's already 93 degrees here. Guaranteed to shrivel new plants in a matter of minutes.

Pet stores are not immune, either. An employee of a big box pet store told me when she worked at one of her chain's stores in a cold part of Nevada, they didn't carry pet water bowls with electric warmers to keep the water from freezing. But they have "tons" of them at this store, in a city where a nighttime low temperature anywhere freezing causes breathless reports of "extreme" weather on the nightly newscast.

I finally mail-ordered a swimsuit from Sylvia's Swim Shop, because the ones I have are turning to mesh and the stores around here don't get swim suits until...you guessed it: summer. After decades of marketing research, in a country rife with bright people, we find ourselves held hostage by huge selling machines that completely ignore the tenets of customer-oriented marketing. They offer overcoats to people in the desert and dog cooling beds to people in the Sierra Nevadas . Why does this surprise me? Shouldn't I be used to a lack of common sense by now? After all, I did work for the government for a year!

I want to support my local merchants, really I do. If I could only find them. Maybe they were all squashed by the big box store juggernaut. I feel sad--and more than a little pissed off. I don't need an overcoat, dammit! I need a swimsuit--and some patio furniture!

My hand is reluctantly poised over my mouse. The siren call of the internet tells me I can get whatever I want, whenever I want it. The siren doesn't mention what it's like to try to return things to faceless far-away vendors, and it doesn't lament, even for a minute, what taking the sales tax away from my own city does to the local economy. Gad. When did shopping become such drama?

No comments: