Friday, January 16, 2009

Angel Dog



Yes, I know this picture is ridiculously cute. That's why it's here. I haven't felt very amusing lately, and this is my way of making it up to you.

Like the rest of us, Scruffdog has had a tough time of it since November. He's wearing this attractive Victorian collar because the groin wound he sustained (when attacked by a big dog) didn't heal. Then he tore it open last week. The vet cleaned it all out, stitched him up, and sent us home with an array of pills that would do a senior citizen proud. It seems to be healing nicely, but when I feel sorry for him and remove the annoying appendage, he instantly tries to chew the stitches off. The only wayI can be sure collarless Scruffdog isn't chewing himself is to hold him. I'm typing with one hand, and my arms are getting numb. But I'm nice and toasty; it is amazing how warm a 7-lb. dog stuffed in your vest can keep you!

He's a plucky little survivor, a great inspiration for an unemployed and soon-to-be-single Boomer. He thinks the sun rises and sets on me--who wouldn't be cheered up by such devotion? As I care for him, his slow healing reminds me that wounds don't stay raw forever. And that sometimes we find divine hope in the unlikeliest places.

4 comments:

cindy said...

poor little scruffdoggie! still so cute, though! (i just bought some little doggie fashion patterns finally, and have yet to give them a try.)

:: the monkey pod :: said...

Lovely, lovely. You are so loved. :)

Anonymous said...

I think we're all missing the big picture here. First of all, how in the hell did that dog get itself stuck in that funnel? That's really got to hurt!! If he can work himself free he'll be just fine.

Bemused Boomer said...

LOL. You're right. He finally managed to work himself free, and he is just fine (well, except for the trauma...)