Friday, February 26, 2010

My Best Piece of Exercise Equipment



It turns out all I really needed to start exercising more was a doggie stroller. [Sound of hand smacking forehead] D'oh!

Oliver can only walk a block or so before his damaged back leg starts hurting. He relays this information to me by planting his rear end firmly on the pavement and staring at me. I carried him back from most of our little forays into the neighborhood.

Some of my retiree neighbors have dog strollers for their elderly or incapacitated dogs, but I balked at the idea. It's one thing to spoil your dog at home, where other humans won't roll their eyes and mutter such things as "weird," and "Look at that old lady's dog! She's pushing him, for Pete's sake!" The sheer practicality of the stroller idea trumped my hesitation, however. I ordered one online. Now we walk a mile or two every day. I see the back of Oliver's little head, ears bouncing, while he sits in the sun and sniffs the air. Since I'm not worried about my carpet being peed upon by a stay-at-home dog, I stay out longer. It's a win-win for everyone but the carpet cleaners.

This idyll will end temporarily in about two months when it becomes too hot to walk outdoors in the desert. That's OK; maybe I'll get him a dog spa by then!

2 comments:

melgrieves said...

When it's too hot to walk outside, you can join those folks who walk in the malls. Just put some sort of meshy scarf over the stroller so no one can see it's a dog and not a baby. I can't wait for THAT picture. :)

Bemused Boomer said...

Funny you should mention that, Mel. Every time I take Oliver out in his little stroller, neighbors stop me to chat. Many of them mention they have strollers for their little dogs, and they take them everywhere--into stores and even the outdoor part of restaurants. I think Oliver and I will become "mall rats" this summer!