Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Crease in My Heart

I took my wedding ring off about a year ago. Sometimes, when I felt sad or vulnerable or lonely, I put it back on for a few days. But mostly it's been off. Oddly enough (or perhaps not), I still have a little crease where the gold band encircled my finger for 18 years.

When I notice it, I wistfully remember what was and is no more. The indentation is fading slowly, acknowledging the unbuilding of a life even as a new one rises tentatively. There is no calendar deadline, no indication of when the process will end. Maybe it won't.

I'm moving forward, staying positive, trying to create a tomorrow worth striving for. But the little crease on my finger reflects the one in my heart, and I know each of them will end only in its own good time.

1 comment:

:: the monkey pod :: said...

One day at a time. It's the only way I know how to get through the difficult times. Hugs my friend. This was a beautiful post.

Love, Mina