Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gorgeous Trumps Cranky

When the winds started about two weeks ago, I was enchanted each morning to find tiny yellow Palo Verde flowers and magenta bougainvillea blossoms floating in my waterfall pool. It was as if a hostess with a flair for beauty had decorated for a garden party. All it needed was a few floating votive candles. The next day, however, when the soggy flowers faded and sank, creating sort of a dirty looking flower soup, I was less enchanted.

Just now, with the thermometer in the shade of the covered patio reading 90 degrees, I was downright cranky as I scooped the soupy mess. The only thing that can make me crankier is having to replace the $85 pump--again--if the flowers clog it up. It didn't help that the plastic scooper--which resembles a flat butterfly net with no deep pocket--started bending and threatening to fall apart, and the 32-gallon can I got for the yard was too big for my 30-gallon bags. I clamped the bag onto the side of the can with one hand as it grew progressively heavier with the wet mess. I leaned forward to push the scooper across the top of the water with the other hand while being dive-bombed by various buzzing (and perhaps stinging) bugs. I was getting a new and very unappealing perspective on home ownership. Damn, I thought--not for the first time--I'm going to get this waterfall shut off. I thought about calling the City of Indio to trim their stoopit tree that leans over my back wall directly over the little pool.

Then I looked up. Graceful slender green branches with glowing yellow flowers backlit by a brilliant blue sky greeted my gaze. They swayed gently in a small breeze. A smear of white cloud that looked like a giant paint brush stroke added artistic contrast. Damn, I thought, this is glorious. OK, all is forgiven. Gorgeous trumps cranky every time.

I'll get new bigger trash can liners. I'll get a new scooper. And I'll fight the City of Indio to the death if they try to lay a hand on "my" backyard Palo Verde Tree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I left a comment a few days ago, but I don't see it here. Perhaps I clicked on the wrong button. Anyway, here's to beauty and the beast of chaos and allergies. LS

Bemused Boomer said...

Thanks for the comment! I recently invoked the moderation function on my blog comments (would that I could push a button in my brain and invoke moderation in various aspects of my life!) I try to remember that I have to actually DO something to make the comments appear.

I didn't see your previous comment, but I share the click-the-wrong-button talent, so there's no telling what happened. Glad to have your input any time. (It's the folks who want to use my blog to advertise stuff in the guise of a comment that I'm trying to keep away.)

The winds have died down and I can breathe a little better. They say more are coming at the end of the week. I'm tempted to just stuff tissues up my nose and leave them haning out (getting the added bonus of terrifying small children...)